eight suggestions and methods for fishing for white perch
Fishing Photo Credit Southern Maryland
One of the most popular species on the US Atlantic coast is a small, silver fish called white bass. White perch is a relative of the striped bass, but smaller, usually measuring 8 to 10 inches, making it an ideal (and delicious) panfish.
They are generally found in brackish and freshwater ponds and are best known in the Chesapeake Bay and New England areas. Here are some useful white perch fishing tips to pack in your bag of tricks on your next fishing adventure!
White perch fishing tips
- Get your fishing license. A simple but sometimes overlooked requirement! You can buy your fishing license online.
- Fish the spring spawn. From April to June, white perch migrate from larger estuaries to rivers to spawn. This makes for great inshore fishing and a denser concentration of fish.
- Fish estuaries. Tributaries that drain into bays form a flowering brackish estuary that is ideal for catching white perch.
- Use a lightweight device. White perch tends to nibble delicately due to its small size. With light equipment, you can feel the weakest attempts so you can better predict the hook set.
- Give them time. Let your bait sit while the fish nibbles or pull the hook away from them. Set the hook as soon as you feel the perch take the hook.
- Try live bait. White perch loves fish specialties such as worms, minnows and shrimp. Try a few variations to see what works best in your area.
- Try trolling. If you are a boat angler, trolling is an effective way to catch white perch. Slowly drift in the water with bait lines until you get a bite.
- Quadruple your chances. Try a Sabiki rig to catch multiple white perch at once. Bait each of the tiny hooks with a small minnow and drop into the strike zone. When you feel the blow, put a hook and drop the line again to continue fishing.
Try these tips for fishing for white bass for yourself and you will quickly find out why this fish is so fun to catch. It's also a great way to teach kids how to fish. Learn about white perch, including where to find it, fishing techniques, and types of bait and tackle.
Ready to start? Celebrate the great outdoors month in June with your first White Perch catch!